24 - 26 September, 2018
Le Meridien Beach Plaza, Monte Carlo
44 (0) 207 368 9854
8:00 am - 8:55 am Registration, Coffee and Networking Meetings in the Meetings Zone
8:55 am - 9:00 am Chairperson’s Remarks:
NAVIGATING ECONOMIC, POLITICAL AND TECHNOLOGY DISRUPTION
9:00 am - 9:20 am KEYNOTE INTERVIEW: Blockchain - How can you exploit this technology to increase transparency, create smoother data flows and achieve more automated compliance?Itamar Lesuisse - Co-founder Argent Miia Bovellan - Founding Partner Proxy
- How to introduce stronger record-keeping procedures and increase operational ability with blockchain?
- How will the blockchain impact the LP-GP relationship?
- Deal execution: How can blockchain technology make workflow more efficient?
- Where are the best investment opportunities in Blockchain technology companies?
Miia BovellanFounding Partner
9:20 am - 9:50 am FIRESIDE CHAT: How is AI changing PE? Is AI improving investment decision making?Gianluca Leotta - Founding Partner ELR Lex Avvocati Associati Ekaterina Almasque - Managing Director Samsung Catalyst Fund Andre Pienaar - Managing Partner & Founder C5 Capital
- AI-driven automation: where are the best opportunities for investors?
- How to assess PE offerings to achieve superior risk adjusted returns?
- How to make sure to provide to your team the resources to evolve alongside technology?
- How can AI increase efficiency and reduce cost by replacing manual legacy systems and make the system compliant with regulations?
Ekaterina AlmasqueManaging Director
Samsung Catalyst Fund
Andre PienaarManaging Partner & Founder
Gianluca LeottaFounding Partner
ELR Lex Avvocati Associati
9:50 am - 10:20 am GUEST SPEAKER PRESENTATION: Brexit, Trump and Russia – What are the implications for PE and what can you expect next?Anthony Hilton - Financial Editor Evening Standard
- How are macroeconomic fluctuations impacting investment and fundraising opportunities?
- How much will the flow of UK investments be impacted by Brexit?
- How can you take advantage of this market instability?
- How will rising interest rates and tax reforms affect the fundraising and investments environment?
Anthony HiltonFinancial Editor
10:20 am - 11:00 am Coffee, Networking and Private Business Meetings in the Meetings Zone
EUROPEAN FUNDRAISING & INVESTMENTS OUTLOOK
11:00 am - 11:40 am ALL STAR PANEL: Co-Investment 2019 and beyond – How can you stay ahead of the curve of new and upcoming regulations?Richard Damming - Head of investment Benelux, France & Italy Schroder Adveq Maurizio Arrigo - Head, Private Equity Pictet Alternative Investments Elias Korosis - Partner, Strategy and Growth Investing Hermes GPE David Smith - Managing Director & Co-Head, Co-investment Capital Dynamics
- How do LPs source the best co-investment deals and what are the regulations around it?
- What are current co-investment prices? What types of returns in European should you expect? How will these change in the next 2-5 years?
- Why is the appetite for co-investments growing?
- How can GPs align their interests better to their LPs considering the tight rules of engagement?
Richard DammingHead of investment Benelux, France & Italy
Maurizio ArrigoHead, Private Equity
Pictet Alternative Investments
Elias KorosisPartner, Strategy and Growth Investing
David SmithManaging Director & Co-Head, Co-investment
11:40 am - 12:20 pm ALL STAR PANEL: Comparing the latest industry breakthroughs on secondary deal sourcing investment opportunities and exit strategies – Do your returns match the market growth?Louis Trincano - Managing Partner Cornerstone Fund Placement Jean-Francois Le Ruyet - Partner Quilvest Private Equity Paul Newsome - Partner, co-Head of Investments Unigestion Olav Ostin - Managing Partner TempoCap Matthieu Ducharme - Director, Private Equity Northleaf Capital Partners
- What are the secondary market dynamics in Europe how does it compare to the US and Asia?
- How does increased competition and dry powder affect the market?
- What are the impacts and risk in the use of leverage in secondary transactions?
- How are fund managers differentiating themselves in this market to beat the competition?
- With massive market growth how can you better understand the investment approach to complex restructuring deals?
Jean-Francois Le RuyetPartner
Quilvest Private Equity
Paul NewsomePartner, co-Head of Investments
Olav OstinManaging Partner
Matthieu DucharmeDirector, Private Equity
Northleaf Capital Partners
Louis TrincanoManaging Partner
Cornerstone Fund Placement
12:20 pm - 12:50 pm PANEL DEBATE: Are Secondary investments justifiable at this point of the cycle?Christiaan de Lint - Partner Headway Capital Partners LLP Benoit-Olivier Boureau - Managing Director Five Arrows Managers Joaquín Alexandre Ruiz Tarré - Head – Co-investments, Secondaries and Special Situations European Investment Fund Andre Aubert - Partner, Private Equity LGT Capital Partners Benjamin Revillon - Managing Partner BEX Capital
Yes: In a market which is highly competitive across the board, there are not many opportunities that offer better risk adjusted returns
Yes: Traditional secondaries might be competitive, but other type of transactions such as GP restructuring still offer plenty of value
No: The amount of dry powder available and the level of competition for secondary transactions have pushed prices to unsustainable levels
No: The use of leverage and credit lines actually increase the level of risk for limited partners in an untested way
Yes: Benoit-Olivier Boureau, Managing Director, Rothschild Merchant Banking
Yes: Joaquín Alexandre Ruiz Tarré, Head – Co-investments, Secondaries and Special Situations, European Investment Fund
No: André Aubert, Partner, LGT Capital Partners
No: Benjamin Revillon, Managing Partner, BEX Capital
Moderator: Christiaan de Lint, Partner, Headway Capital Partners
Benoit-Olivier BoureauManaging Director
Five Arrows Managers
Joaquín Alexandre Ruiz TarréHead – Co-investments, Secondaries and Special Situations
European Investment Fund
Andre AubertPartner, Private Equity
LGT Capital Partners
Benjamin RevillonManaging Partner
Christiaan de LintPartner
Headway Capital Partners LLP
12:50 pm - 1:20 pm ALL STAR PANEL: Credit and Private Debt - What are the implications of recent economic and political developments on investment and deal allocations?Iva Philipova - Senior Associate - Fund Finance Mayer Brown Olivier Berment - Co-Head of Private Dept - Managing Director Ardian Per Wimmer - CEO Wimmer Family Office
- How is PE investment in private credit evolving in Europe compared to the US and the rest of the world?
- What is the appeal of private credit for LPs?
- How are fund managers maintaining a disciplined investment process?
- How do managers expect deal flow to develop over the next 2 years considering the current developments?
Olivier BermentCo-Head of Private Dept - Managing Director
Wimmer Family Office
Iva PhilipovaSenior Associate - Fund Finance
1:20 pm - 2:25 pm Networking Lunch
2:25 pm - 2:30 pm Chairperson’s RemarksSarah Clarke - Managing Director Foundation Fundraising Services
THE MANAGER OF THE FUTURE
2:30 pm - 3:10 pm ALL STAR PANEL: Emerging vs established managers – which ensures you gain higher returns as well as an attractive risk/reward outlook?Paul Mizrahi - Founding Partner BlackFin Capital Partners Ralph Büchel - Principal Unigestion Philip Rattle - Managing Partner August Equity Tony O’Carroll - Managing Director Strategic Value Partners (SVP Global) Mark Nicolson - Senior Investment Director Aberdeen Standard Investments Private Equity
- What are the overall selection criteria you need to be using when choosing a manager?
- Better performance vs. established managers. Which will lead to higher returns for you?
- What must you take into consideration when managing due diligence with a team that doesn’t have a track record?
- What is a first time manager’s advantage over a more experienced generalist fund?
Philip RattleManaging Partner
Tony O’CarrollManaging Director
Strategic Value Partners (SVP Global)
Mark NicolsonSenior Investment Director
Aberdeen Standard Investments Private Equity
Paul MizrahiFounding Partner
BlackFin Capital Partners
3:10 pm - 3:50 pm PANEL DISCUSSION: How do GPs and LPs continue to look for Alpha in today’s market and what does this mean for future returns?Tarang Katira - Principal Hamilton Lane Roni Elchahal - Head of EMEA Capital Partnering General Atlantic Neil Malik - Founder and Chief Executive Officer K1 Investment Management Fiona Dane - Partner Livingbridge Mark Nicolson - Senior Investment Director Aberdeen Standard Investments Private Equity Michael Collins - CEO Invest Europe
- How are manager sourcing great deals with the increasing amount of dry powder?
- Evaluating the trends in GPs securing capital and commanding better terms in fundraising
- What strategies are experienced LPs using to navigate such a dynamic fundraising environment?
- Evaluating the trends in LPs gaining control and commanding more attractive deal terms
Roni ElchahalHead of EMEA Capital Partnering
Neil MalikFounder and Chief Executive Officer
K1 Investment Management
Mark NicolsonSenior Investment Director
Aberdeen Standard Investments Private Equity
3:50 pm - 4:30 pm ALL STAR PANEL: How are fund managers differentiating themselves and what does this mean for GP fundraising in 2020?Benjamin Arm - Managing Partner Omnes Capital Martin Wright - Senior Partner JZ International Lorenzo Stanca - Managing Director Mandarin Capital Partners Tim Berkowitz - President & CEO InnovaHealth Partners, LP Jean-Pierre Di Benedetto - Partner Argos Wityu
- What is the best way for a GP to communicate new and different approaches and advantages to LPs?
- What are the key considerations from LPs when choosing a manager?
- What are three aspects where managers can most easily differentiate themselves?
- How can GPs enhance LPs interactions and make sure they stand out in the crowd?
Martin WrightSenior Partner
Lorenzo StancaManaging Director
Mandarin Capital Partners
Tim BerkowitzPresident & CEO
InnovaHealth Partners, LP
Jean-Pierre Di BenedettoPartner
Benjamin ArmManaging Partner
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Afternoon coffee, networking and meetings in our Meetings Zone
4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Women in Private Equity – What is being done to redress the imbalance?Ana Maria Harrison - Partner Adams Street Partners
The private equity industry has had its struggles in achieving gender balance just like the rest of the finance industry. This intimate discussion provides a platform to build relationships that will help dictate the future development of the industry.
- Make direct connections that lead to real business deals, benefitting you and your organization
- Extend your professional network amongst the next generation of leading women and investment professionals
- Enhance your career by learning from some of the Europe’s most influential women
Ana Maria HarrisonPartner
Adams Street Partners
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm PANEL DISCUSSION: Where is the LP/GP relationship going in 2020 and how can you secure the best partnerships?Sarah Clarke - Managing Director Foundation Fundraising Services Olivier Dauman - Head of Private Equity CFM Indosuez Wealth Management Francois Aguerre - Partner, Co-Head of Origination Coller Capital Michael Dymond - Senior Portfolio Manager, Private Equity APG Ivan Massonnat - Partner, Investor Team PAI Partners
- Fees, transparency, internal resources, deal flow – what are the priorities when choosing an investment platform?
- How is LP competition in direct, co-investments and secondary investments affecting the dynamics?
- LP view: What could GP do better?
- GP view: What do LPs really want and need?
Olivier DaumanHead of Private Equity
CFM Indosuez Wealth Management
Francois AguerrePartner, Co-Head of Origination
Michael DymondSenior Portfolio Manager, Private Equity
Ivan MassonnatPartner, Investor Team
5:00 pm - 5:30 pm Network or attend private meetings in our Meetings Zone
ESG IN PRIVATE EQUITY
5:30 pm - 6:10 pm CLOSING PANEL: How do you stand out as a fund manager in the golden age of growth and buyout investment opportunities?
- What can fund managers do differently to achieve maximum ROI?
- How do GPs make themselves desirable to institutional and private investors (LPs)?
- How to deploy capital as efficiently as possible into portfolio companies?
What are the most effective exit strategies for buyout and growth post-acquisition